ACTA’s efforts and activities are ongoing. A quick update on some issues under our pillar, "Promote", the value of retail travel to the consumer and actively position the travel agent as the authority in travel. ACTA has been in the main stream media throughout the first quarter of 2016 to discuss a number of topics that includes the the value of booking a vacation with an ACTA Travel Agent. Some of our recent contributions include:
- ACTA Chair, Mary Jane Hiebert pomotes the value of ACTA Travel Agents in a National post article
- AB regional manager Barb Sutherland conducted a radio and newspaper interview on the merits of booking with an ACTA member agency.
- In an interview with the Edmonton Sun AB regional manager Barb Sutherland encourages travelers to look for one more image to ensure the site is, in fact, legitimate: the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies logo.
- ACTA contributed to the local Kindersley Saskatchewan papers following a sudden agency closure to promote the value of ACTA Travel Agents and the need for consumer protection in the province
http://www.acta.ca/kind10204 | http://www.acta.ca/kind20204
- ACTA Vice President Heather Craig Peddie contributes to a CTV News story discussing high airline fees
- ACTA Director Marco Pozzobon contributes to a Global News story discussing airlines and the child/parent seating policy
- Ottawa’s 22nd Travel and Vacation Show took place April 9th and 10th at the Convention Centre in downtown Ottawa. Fiona Bowen, Ontario Regional Manager, along with Ontario council members Lisa Perkins of Carlson Wagonlit Travel and Norm Payne CTM of Uniglobe Premiere were on hand to deliver the message – “Without a Travel Agent You are On Your Own!” With a packed attendance it was the perfect opportunity to promote the reasons why consumers should use a travel agent when making their travel plans – expert advice, personal attention, peace of mind, convenience, time savings and trust. Visitors were also very impressed to learn that travel agents in Ontario alone sold over $12 billion in 2015. Full story and pics
- QC regional manager, Manon Martel will be promoting the value of using an ACTA travel agent during the SITV consumer travel show in Montreal in October 2016. Last year over 33,000 consumers walked through the trade show. Manon Martel, regional manager for ACTA in Quebec, was in attendance with the support of her Council Members.
- On May 2nd and 3rdACTA participated in the Travel MarketPlace Conference, a sold-out show with many standing-room-only sessions. Canada’s travel professionals gathered for two days of education and networking at this third annual conference which brought together the best of our industry from around the country. ACTA had the opportunity to meet and connect with members, suppliers and other industry leaders. It was learn that as a group we are here to add value to the travel industry and grow business! Full story
- Bookwithatravelagent.ca is ACTA's consumer facing webiste to promote the value of booking with a Travel Agent. Those who visit this website will learn why "Without a Travel Agent...You're on Your own!" Bookwithatravelagent.ca offers good advice, helpful travel tips and fun stories for travellers planning or embarking on their next vacation.
- The ACTA Marketing toolkit continues to offer resources for ACTA members to promote the value of using a travel agent. All the materials feature the slogan “Without a Travel Agent, You’re on Your Own” with reasons why people should use a travel agent. Materials can be customized with your agency’s contact info. Together we can promote the value of an ACTA Travel Agent and enhance the value of our services to the consumer.
ACTA will update you on these initiatives under our other pillars in upcoming newsletters. Past newsletters have covered "Advocate" and "Educate and Elevate" . Thank you members for supporting your trade association with renewed membership, and allowing us to “keep up the good fight”.