Dear Retail Member,
The Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) needs leaders to become members of the ACTA’s Regional Councils. ACTA needs you.
ACTA represents the interests of travel agencies across Canada. These interests include obstacles to profitability, government legislation and regulations, relations with travel suppliers, international relations and other topics that affect the success of your business and with your clients.
ACTA works within four pillars: Advocate, Educate and Elevate, Promote and Connect. Some of the current issues that ACTA is working on your behalf include regulatory review at both the federal and provincial levels, travel insurance, fraud, and education. Whereas the National Board of Directors oversees and guides the association as a whole while the Regional Councils does the same for their province. This council reports to the National Board and in many cases, it is the council chair that is elected by the membership to sit on the National Board of Directors.
The ACTA Regional Council Members serve a two-year term of office. Nominations are now being accepted.
The elections will be held in January 2017 with the new council convening within 30 days following the elections.
In 2015, the Board accepted a new Terms of Reference for Regional Councils to work within. The following is an excerpt of the who is eligible to sit on a Regional Council (the full Terms of Reference can be found on the ACTA Website (http://www.acta.ca/bylaws):
In order to sit on a Regional Council, one must be:
- A Principal of a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Authorized in writing by a Principal of a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Someone who fills a management function (as that term is defined or determined by the Board of ACTA) with a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Someone who has their CTC or CTM designation in good standing and works in an ACTA member Retail Travel Agency, or
- Someone who fills a management function (as that term is defined or determined by the Board of ACTA) with either
- A consortium of, or
- A head office of a chain of, or
- A franchisor, of Retail Travel Agencies in good standing in the region, whether or not such consortium, chain or franchisor is also associated with Retail Travel Agencies located outside of the Region, and must be either
- Elected pursuant to the procedure outlines in subparagraph b), or
- Appointed pursuant to the procedure outlined in subparagraph e), and must,
- Confirm in writing that he/she agrees to serve in this capacity so as to further the objectives and mission of ACTA, as set forth in the Bylaws.
To receive further information about your role as a Regional Council member please contact the Regional manager within your province.
Your nomination form can be found here. Please note that nominee(s) must confirm their willingness to serve if nominated. Nominations must be received no later than January 20, 2017.
If you are a leader in travel, apply for a position on the ACTA Regional Council or nominate a fellow ACTA member to act on behalf of this ACTA region. Do your part for the well-being of our industry and the success of every ACTA member in Canada.