The Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) needs leaders to become members of the ACTA’s Regional Councils. ACTA needs you.
ACTA represents the interests of travel agencies across Canada. These interests include obstacles to profitability, government legislation and regulations, relations with travel suppliers, international relations and other topics that affect the success of your business and with your clients.
ACTA works within four pillars: Advocate, Educate and Elevate, Promote and Connect. Some of the current issues that ACTA is working on your behalf include regulatory review at both the federal and provincial levels, travel insurance, supplier concerns including IATA matters, fraud, and education. Whereas the National Board of Directors oversees and guides the association as a whole, the Regional Councils do the same for their province. The Regional Councils report to the National Board and in many cases, it is the council chair or a member of the council that is elected by the membership to sit on the National Board of Directors.
The elections will be held in January 2020 with the new council convening within 30 days following the elections.
Regional Councils work within Terms of Reference. The following is an excerpt from the Terms of Reference of who is eligible to sit on a Regional Council (the full Terms of Reference can be found on the ACTA Website (http://www.acta.ca/bylaws):
In order to sit on a Regional Council, one must be:
- A Principal of a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Authorized in writing by a Principal of a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Someone who fills a management function (as that term is defined or determined by the Board of ACTA) with a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Someone who has their CTC or CTM designation in good standing and works in an ACTA member Retail Travel Agency, or
- Someone who fills a management function (as that term is defined or determined by the Board of ACTA) with either
- A consortium of, or
- A head office of a chain of, or
- A franchisor, of Retail Travel Agencies in good standing in the region, whether or not such consortium, chain or franchisor is also associated with Retail Travel Agencies located outside of the Region, and must be either:
- Elected pursuant to the procedure outlines in subparagraph b), or
- Appointed pursuant to the procedure outlined in subparagraph e), and must,
- Confirm in writing that he/she agrees to serve in this capacity so as to further the objectives and mission of ACTA, as set forth in the Bylaws.
To receive further information about your role as a Regional Council member please contact the Regional Membership Manager within your province.
Regional Council Members typically serve a two-year term. However, some years there may be one-year terms open to ensure consistent staggering of year-over-year positions. Please note that nominee(s) must confirm their willingness to serve if nominated. Nominations must be received no later than January 10, 2020. Your nomination form can be found here.
If you are a leader in travel, apply for a position on a ACTA Regional Council or nominate a fellow ACTA member to act on behalf of this ACTA region. Do your part for the well-being of our industry and the success of every ACTA member in Canada