ACTA's Code of Ethics and Standards encourages members to provide the highest quality of travel services to the public and stipulates guidelines for relations between ACTA members. Membership in ACTA is a sign of this commitment to the highest standards of professional competence and integrity and merits the confidence of the travelling public.
ACTA CODE OF ETHICS
Click here for a printable version of our Code of Ethics
In order to provide the public with the highest quality travel services and promote the most efficient and amicable relationships with other members, each ACTA member agrees to adhere to the following code of ethics.
RELATIONS BETWEEN ACTA MEMBERS AND THE PUBLIC
When dealing with the public, it is the duty of ACTA members to:
- train and inform in-office and outside sales staff on all phases of travel which they offer to the public in order to provide professional travel advice and secure the most appropriate available travel services;
- make every effort to ensure that accurate information is provided to enable their clients to exercise an informed judgment in making their choice of travel services;
- advise clients of the necessary passport and visa requirements for the journey to be undertaken and verify that client’s travel documents are up to date;
- advise clients of known health requirements/risks and refer them to a travel medicine professional when appropriate to the trip being undertaken;
- at the time of booking, advise their clients of the existence and amount of any known cancellation fee, revision fee, supplier service charge or administration charges, and inform clients of the existence of cancellation protection and/or travel/health insurance;
- disclose in advance of counselling the existence of any service charges to be assessed to the client;
- ensure that all travel and other documents are checked before delivering them to their clients and that any points requiring clarification are explained;
- promote the services of other ACTA members, whenever consistent with the best interests of the client;
- refrain from disparaging the business practices of another member, transaction or service, and render any opinion with strict professional integrity and courtesy;
- refrain from carrying on business under a name and style or in a fashion that is intended to, is likely to, or in fact does confuse the public or the industry as to the identity, association, affiliation, or qualities of that member.
RELATIONS BETWEEN ACTA MEMBERS
When dealing with another ACTA member, it is the duty of members to:
- treat as binding any accepted commitment for accommodations or services, written or oral, subject to the member’s terms and conditions of sale;
- cancel immediately upon notification by the client a commitment for accommodations or services; refrain from suggesting or making duplicate bookings;
- comply with all reasonable published rules and regulations of suppliers or licensing associations;
- give to ACTA members an opportunity to make a full investigation of any written complaint, grievance or claim by a client before taking action against them, process all complaints, grievances, claims and refunds due within thirty days of notification, or provide written reasons for any further delay;
- refrain from taking advantage of the former affiliation of a new employee through the use of unauthorized lists or records which may accompany the employee, nor shall they take advantage of bookings made prior to transfer;
- refrain from unfairly infringing upon the business practices of another member.
ACTA CODE OF STANDARDS
All ACTA members are required to:
- comply with all applicable federal and provincial laws and hold all valid and subsisting licenses as required by such legislation
- comply in all respects with the ACTA Code of Ethics and Standards;
- pay the appropriate membership fee or dues, as set from time to time;
- wherever reasonable, utilize the ACTA logo in its advertising or promotional material; (if it is entitled to use it) in the absence of overriding aesthetic considerations;
- apply for the category of membership in which it generates more than 50% of its revenue.
Read carefully and sign the following:
Our employees are familiar with the ACTA Code of Ethics, understand it and promise to abide by this Code.
Print Name: ______________________________ Agency: _______________________________
Signature: _______________________________ Date: __________________________________